HANDLEBAR HAPPY HOUR
BIKEIOWA has organized several Handlebar Happy Hours (HHH) to celebrate Bike Month 2023. Ride with old friends and meet new ones. See YOU there!
& Trailside Tap
are our hosts for this Handlebar Happy Hour.
Firetrucker Brewery - Grab some Firetrucker brews and enjoy the giant beer garden or set in the taproom with lots of space to chill out in comfort right off the High Trestle trailhead in Uptown Ankeny. Plenty of bike parking in our giant bike rack art sculpture. Start and end your summer rides at Firetrucker Brewery in Ankeny! We’ll see you on the trails!
- Trailside promises to deliver a fun and exciting atmosphere with some of the best food and drinks in Des Moines! They have 16 beers on tap and 15 are usually local beers. come set on the 80 seat patio located right in the heart of Ankeny on the High Trestle Trail
trailhead and backing up to the Ankeny Market Pavilion. With a gated sidewalk, walk your bikes into the yard for parking and enjoy food and drink on the patio while watching trail-riders rolling by.
Firetrucker - $1 off all drinks, For BIKEIOWA participants
p - 50% off craft beer, wine and house cocktails and 25% off snack and small sections of the menu.
Happy hour will be extended to 6pm.
Stay until the end and win some HHH swag. Must be present to win!
Tentatively, let's do the raffles on the patios at Trailside Tap at 6:30pm and Fire Trucker at 7pm
Firetrucker - a $20 Gift Card, a Cycling Cap, and one 64oz Growler
Trailside Tap - More details coming soon!
IMPORTANT BIKE MONTH DATES
WHAT IS BIKE MONTH?May is National Bike Month and is celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
BIKEIOWA co-hosted the first organized "Bike to Work Day" on May 16th 2003
. That grew to "Bike to Work Week" in 2005
and the Des Moines Bicycle Collective took over in 2011
to create "Bike Month" (with focus in the Des Moines metro) as we know it today. View past Bike to Work
and "Bike Month
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH?Bike Month is so much more than riding your bike to work.
- It's about riding from here to there. Riding around the block, riding to get coffee, riding to work, date-night ride, riding on a trail or road, riding to get/stay in shape or running errands.
- It's about inspiration - riding further and encouraging others to bike.
- It's about riding your bike whether if be for fun, fitness or with family and/or friends.
- It's about riding your bike places it’s never seen or take your bike places you’d usually see by car.
- It's about your wellness, happiness and community well-being.
- It's about safer streets and connected communities and a healthier planet
- It's about exploration and finding new ways to get from here to there.
Invite friends and co-workers to ride with you. Help them get their bike, clothes and gear ready. Offer advice and assistance to increase their confidence. Educate them on bicycle etiquette for riding on trails, roads, with other cyclists, motorists and others on the trails. And have Fun!
Iowa is a GREAT place to ride ALL year long and BIKEIOWA has several dedicated pages in their "Resources" menu section for commuting and promoting bicycle-friendliness.