HANDLEBAR HAPPY HOUR
BIKEIOWA has organized several Handlebar Happy Hours (HHH) to celebrate Bike Month 2023. Ride with old friends and meet new ones. See YOU there!
Mickey's Irish Pub
is our host for this Handlebar Happy Hour.
Mickey's Irish Pub in Waukee blends the best of a traditional Irish Pub with familiar faces and excellent food. We take great pride in providing our guests with quality products and service. Our recipes are prepared using only the finest ingredients and are made to order.
We are a bike-friendly business along the popular Raccoon River Trail right along the convergence of the North Loop. We offer cold Beer, great food and friendly staff and clientele.
Come see us and stick a fork in it!
It's Mug night...all taps, 34oz of beer for $5!
Stay until the end and win some HHH swag. Must be present to win!
Win a patio party which would include a half keg and 50 wings!!
IMPORTANT BIKE MONTH DATES
WHAT IS BIKE MONTH?May is National Bike Month and is celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
BIKEIOWA co-hosted the first organized "Bike to Work Day" on May 16th 2003
. That grew to "Bike to Work Week" in 2005
and the Des Moines Bicycle Collective took over in 2011
to create "Bike Month" (with focus in the Des Moines metro) as we know it today. View past Bike to Work
and "Bike Month
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH?Bike Month is so much more than riding your bike to work.
- It's about riding from here to there. Riding around the block, riding to get coffee, riding to work, date-night ride, riding on a trail or road, riding to get/stay in shape or running errands.
- It's about inspiration - riding further and encouraging others to bike.
- It's about riding your bike whether if be for fun, fitness or with family and/or friends.
- It's about riding your bike places it’s never seen or take your bike places you’d usually see by car.
- It's about your wellness, happiness and community well-being.
- It's about safer streets and connected communities and a healthier planet
- It's about exploration and finding new ways to get from here to there.
Invite friends and co-workers to ride with you. Help them get their bike, clothes and gear ready. Offer advice and assistance to increase their confidence. Educate them on bicycle etiquette for riding on trails, roads, with other cyclists, motorists and others on the trails. And have Fun!
Iowa is a GREAT place to ride ALL year long and BIKEIOWA has several dedicated pages in their "Resources" menu section for commuting and promoting bicycle-friendliness.