This will be the 20th year BIKEIOWA.com has provided Bicycle Course Support for the Des Moines Marathon.
The IMT Des Moines Marathon is this weekend!
The Des Moines Marathon has become internationally known for their awesome two-wheeled Course Support and we thank the 60+ cyclists who volunteer every year to make race day super-cool for thousands of athletes!
Look for us on course. We'll be in the reflective Carolina Blue t-shirts - Cheer us on too!
RIDE SAFE !!
Sunday Race Start Times:
IMT Des Moines Marathon
IMT Des Moines Half Marathon
Bankers Trust Marathon Relay
Principal 5K Road Race
MercyOne Children’s Hospital Kids Run
ROAD CLOSURES & REROUTES
Many roads surrounding the IMT Des Moines Marathon route will be closed on race day. For traffic flow and roads, you may want to consider avoiding due to the race. Click here
For City of Des Moines road closures and traffic reroutes, click here.
Crowd support is enormous, but being a good spectator takes preparation and work. Following these tips can be an asset if you plan to watch on race day.
WHAT DOES THE BIKEIOWA COURSE SUPPORT TEAM DO?
We focus our attention to making sure everyone knows the course, stays on-course and knows where the amenities like restrooms, first-aid stations and mile-markers are.
- We aid the athletes through the course.
- We are a mobile informationboothsand answer any questions athletes or spectators may have regarding the course, mile markers, restrooms, food, baggage claim, lost & found, road openings/closures, etc.
- We are there to help police the course (crowd and automobile control)
- We make sure corners are open and free of spectators and debris
- We watch the race bib numbers to ensure athletes are on the correct race course - AND make sure each athlete has a bib number
- We provide emotional support and encouragement
- We are the first-responders in case of an emergency
- We use the buddy system to aid athletes as needed
- We keep an eye on the athletes throughout the race. You'll be pretty much with the same pace groups all day. It's pretty easy to see someone with issues after you've been riding near them for hours
- We keep non-registered athletes and non-official bike support off the race course
- We aid the injured athletes and those in distress
- We ensure there is no one else on the course other than the athletes and race volunteers
- We stop traffic from entering the course
- We work with the ham radio operators and race headquarters and alert them of any emergencies, athlete locations, etc.
- We carry tracking devices on the lead and tail end of the races so race control knows where the beginning and end of the races are
What we don't do:
- Pace athletes
- Give preferential treatment to athletes
The BIKEIOWA Bike Team has been providing Course Support since 2002 (day one) for the Des Moines Marathon. The Des Moines Marathon has by far the best Bicycle Course Support on the planet! We have become an integral part of the marathon operations.
Check out Past year's Bicycle Course Support Crews!
COMING SOON !
PANDEMIC - VIRTUAL RACE
missing photos from this year