The BikeIowa.com Cycling Team would like to request the presence of YOU and 4 teammates for the Gents Race 4.0 on April 5, 2014.
This will be the 4th year of the Gents race and we expect 2014 to bigger than last year.
In 2013 37 teams signed up and 24 finished. 30 teams (145 "gents") threw down in 2012. In 2011 15 teams came to play.
START LOCATION - Kyle's Bikes
START TIME - 8AM.
STAGING will be a 5 minute bike ride from Kyles Bikes
FINISH - will be a 5 minute bike ride from Kyles Bikes.
CUTOFF - 3PM
POST-PARTY - On The Rocks. in the same parking area as Kyle's Bikes! MAP
- Apr 2nd - There is NO water at the 1/2 way checkpoint. Bring all you need in your team's dropbag. You can always deviate from the course to a convenience store too.
- Apr 1st - Captain's Emails sent. Also posted 3pm cut off. If you get in after 3pm, come to On the Rocks.
- Mar 30th - Updated post-party location. Look for captains' letter this week!
- Mar 29th - Closed Registration. 44 teams officially registered!
- Mar 3rd 6:45 pm - Registration is LIVE
- Dec 1st 2013 8:37 pm - Event posted...
WHAT IS A GENTS RACE?Glad you asked! To directly quote the folks at Rapha that started the whole concept (and that we’ve blatantly stolen it from): ‘I sold it to the racers as an unsupported, unsanctioned, unmarshalled, five-rider team time trial meets alley-cat, meets ‘Cannonball Run’…….
there you have it. 5 teammates (friends), racing for nothing more than
pride over the roads north of Ankeny. 65 (or so) miles of mostly gravel.
Winners get nothing but pride and high-fives.
No money to enter, no
money to win.
It will be fun.
RULES?Yes: There are a few rules...
- No cheating. No working
with/drafting off of other teams. All teammates must stay together at
all times. No bad attitudes. No outside support. Be Gentlemen (or
- To make it interesting teams will be staged according to your team's potential. If you have a fast team then you will be one of the last teams to start the race. For instance - first team left the starting line last year at 8am sharp while the last team left at 9:30am. The race is a time handicapped race. It makes for a very interesting finish.
will be a small ride to get to the START LINE. Remember, there WILL be a
staggered start for each team. First team goes off at 8AM, with each
remaining team rolling out at equally spaced intervals yet to be
- You are responsible for YOU-you are doing this event
at YOUR risk. For you, by you. Take care of yourself. Ride smart. Roads
will be open to traffic. Dogs will come say hello. Miles will add up. NO
neutral support. NO sag wagon. NO power food sponsorship. Again, you
are doing this BY CHOICE.
- There will be a mandatory checkpoint at or around the race halfway point. Here, you will also have access to your drop bag (one per team).
TEAM CAPTAIN will register the complete team below. We are shutting it
down at midnight on March 29th 2014. You must be registered by then or no
gents for you.
- Teams can be comprised of all males, all females or a mix of both.
- All staging handicaps are final. Our team of Nerf-ball engineers have devised a special algorithm to ensure every team has the correct handicap.
- Time penalties will occur for any changes to your roster AFTER registration. No exceptions.
TEAMSI have a Team of 5. Cool - Register below.
I have a Team but need one or more person.
Almost there - You can request a teammate via our Facebook page
I am looking for a Team.
Sure Thang.- You can put you name out via our Facebook page
The ONLY correspondence
going out to your team will go to your TEAM CAPTAIN, it’s THEIR responsibility to relay information to YOU.
General information and updates about The Gents Race can always be found right here (See the updates section).
We will send you your assigned start time on or around April 2nd.
Questions, concerns or issues? We’re here to help.
Registration Closed at Midnight on March 29th.