The BikeIowa.com Cycling Team would like to request the presence of YOU and 4 teammates for the Gents Race 5.0 on April 4, 2015.
This will be the 5th year of the Gents race and we expect 2015 to bigger than last year.
In 2014 45 teams signed up and 33 finished. In 2013 37 teams signed up and 24 finished. 30 teams (145 "gents") threw down in 2012. In 2011 15 teams came to play for the first year.
START LOCATION - NITE HAWK BAR AND GRILL
START TIME - 8AM, at NITE HAWK BAR AND GRILL
FINISH - at NITE HAWK BAR AND GRILL
CUTOFF - 3PM
POST-PARTY - AT NITE HAWK BAR AND GRILL!!!!
- Mar 3 - It's ALIVE... the registration is LIVE...
- Feb 16 - Added Gent's 5.0 Logo and a FEATURE telling all the changes for 2015. Better read it!
- Feb 11 - REGISTRATION OPENS 3/4/15, closes @ MIDNIGHT 3/27/15
WHAT IS A GENTS RACE?Glad you asked! To directly quote the folks at Rapha that started the whole concept (and that we’ve blatantly stolen it from): ‘I sold it to the racers as an unsupported, unsanctioned, unmarshalled, five-rider team time trial meets alley-cat, meets ‘Cannonball Run’…….
there you have it. 5 teammates (friends), racing for nothing more than
pride over the roads surrounding Slater, Iowa. 65 (or so) miles of gravel.
Winners get nothing but pride and high-fives.
No money to enter, no
money to win.
It will be fun.
RULES?Yes: There are a few rules...
- No cheating. No working
with/drafting off of other teams. All teammates must stay together at
all times. No bad attitudes. No outside support. Be Gentlemen (or
- To make it interesting teams will be staged according to your team's potential. If you have a fast team then you will be one of the last teams to start the race. For instance - first team left the starting line last year at 8am sharp while the last team left at 9:30am. The race is a time handicapped race. It makes for a very interesting finish.
will be a small ride to get to the START LINE. Remember, there WILL be a
staggered start for each team. First team goes off at 8AM, with each
remaining team rolling out at equally spaced intervals yet to be
- You are responsible for YOU-you are doing this event
at YOUR risk. For you, by you. Take care of yourself. Ride smart. Roads
will be open to traffic. Dogs will come say hello. Miles will add up. NO
neutral support. NO sag wagon. NO power food sponsorship. Again, you
are doing this BY CHOICE.
- There will be a mandatory checkpoint at or around the race halfway point. Here, you will also have access to your drop bag (one per team).
TEAM CAPTAIN will register the complete team below. We are shutting it
down at midnight on March 27th 2015. You must be registered by then or no
gents for you.
- Teams can be comprised of all males, all females or a mix of both.
- All staging handicaps are final. Our team of Nerf-ball engineers have devised a special algorithm to ensure every team has the correct handicap.
- Time penalties will occur for any changes to your roster AFTER registration closes. No exceptions.
TEAMSI have a Team of 5. Cool - Register below AFTER 3/4, when registration opens.
I have a Team but need one or more person.
Almost there - You can request a teammate via our FB page
I am looking for a Team.
Sure Thang.- You can put you name out via our FB page
The ONLY correspondence
going out to your team will go to your TEAM CAPTAIN, it’s THEIR responsibility to relay information to YOU.
General information and updates about The Gents Race can always be found right here (See the updates section).
We will send you your assigned start time on or around April 2nd.
Questions, concerns or issues? We’re here to help.